Saturday, July 26, 2008

Maayong Palawan : Facts

As you all know, I'm considerate. Reading about my life can cause brain malfunction. There are enough zombie people in this world.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the breakdown.

To Puerto Prinsesa :
  • Airfare : about 3k each (back and forth). We were extremely lucky to get that zero something promo from Cebu Pacific. Do check their site if you want awesomely cheap plane tickets. Their airport is not as perrrty as PAL though. We always get PAL when we visit home. But now, I'm starting to prefer Cebu Pacific. Not because of their cheap flights and very small planes (It is a compliment. I swear. They will transform you into very good Christians for at least an hour. You'll even remember how to say the 'Our Father' even though you're a Protestant).. but because of their taxi stand. They have taxis lining up outside their airport. As for PAL, you have to be sharp and look out for little old ladies who will wrestle you to the ground and poke your eyes out just to win the cab. Seriously wicked place. But I digress. Back to the airfare. Yeah. Just 3k plus the 200 peso terminal fee.
  • I'm pretty sure there's a boat to Puerto Prinsesa. But with the recent tragedy (Princess of the Stars), it's not really that wise, is it?
  • Palawan's main transportation is the tricycle. It's only P7 per person wherever you're going. Cool.


Where to Stay :
  • There are about a million hotels in Palawan. Just search the net and websites would pop out with all the info you'd need. We chose Liberty Park since it is new-ish (2 years old), has free airport pick ups and it's pretty cheap. It's only 1k per night. Their receptionists were also very accommodating.
  • If you're not on a budget and if you plan to just stay at your hotel for the whole trip, I'd recommend Hotel Asturias. It looks like a classy place. I wouldn't mind being stranded there.

What to Do :
  • Ok. We stayed there for 4 days and 3 nights. You can ask the receptionist to book the tours. We got the City Tour, Underground River Tour and the Honday Bay Tour. I'll go into details in my next post.
  • City Tour - P600 each. You can actually do this by yourself. But if you're lazy, just pay for a tourist guide. Sheesshhh... P600 is actually pretty cheap for comfort. Fees are already included. Plus you'd feel safer with a tourist guide when you visit the Iwahig Penal Farm. Just trust me. I swear I'm telling the truth.
  • Sabang or Underground River Tour - P1,500 each. For this one and the Honda Bay tour, if you're a group of 8 and above, maybe it would be cheaper to do this by yourself. But I still think it's too much of a hassle to arrange everything. The fee already includes lunch, entrance fees, rentals, and a licensed tour guide. It kinda beats having to wait in line and stressing out.
  • Honda Bay Tour - P1,200 each. Inclusions are the same as the River tour. See? No need to worry about a thing. Just bring your sunblock lotion.

That's about it. Oh! Plus shopping. We spent our fourth day just shopping our heads off. Actually, my girlfriend spent the fourth day shopping her head off. I just spent it carrying plastic bags and groveling while she dragged me everywhere. Resistance is futile.

No comments: